- Oxford can clinch the 1-5A region title outright officially with a win over Center Hill tonight. Oxford can also clinch the 1-seed with a Lake Cormorant loss to Clarksdale. It's worth noting despite the Oxford Eagle saying that Oxford has clinched the 1-5A Title and the No. 1 seed, there is still a mathematical possibility Lake Cormorant can take that away.
- Oxford is 9-0 in back-to-back years for the first time in school history. Oxford can go 10-0 for the first time since 2005 and just the second time in school history with a win tonight.
- Joey Walden - despite leading the team in receptions (29) and yards (377) - has STILL not caught a TD pass this season.
- 16 different receivers have caught a pass for Oxford this season.
- Freshmen Ben Bianco last week became the first Charger to throw a pass other than Jack Abraham this season. (Ethan Holmes did look to pass twice during the Crosstown Classic, he was sacked once, and he threw a non-tipped lateral the second try - thus he does not have an official pass attempt)
- Kenzie Phillips has rushed for more than 1,000 yards this season - he has rushed for 1,055 so far (and 1,103 all-purpose yards). He has also rushed for 13 Touchdowns this season - 9 more than any one player Oxford had on the team last year.
- Kenzie Phillips has rushed for 20 or more yards 15 times out of 117 attempts. That is a ratio of 1 out of every nearly 8 attempts.
- Last week was the fourth time this season Oxford has held an opponent to less than 20 passing yards - holding Clarksdale to just 13 yards passing on 5-for-15 and garnering 2 interceptions.
- Last week was the second time this season Oxford has given up 100-yard rushing games to two rushers in the same game. The other was against West Point.
- Despite being notoriously known as a "passing" team, Oxford has just 18 more passing yards than rushing yards and has rushed the ball 35 more times than the Chargers have passed the ball.
- This season in Oxford games, teams are a combined averaging nearly 20 penalties a game.
- Oxford is averaging a 45.7% third down conversion rate this season while holding opponents to 27.9%.
- Oxford is a perfect 7/7 on 4th down conversions - the opponents have gone for it on 4th down 19 times, converting 8 of them.
- Oxford has fumbled just 10 times on the year, the opponents have fumbled it 20 times. Both teams however have each lost the ball 6 times despite the fumbles the opponent has.
- Oxford Boys Swimming finished 2nd (to Tupelo) in the Class II State Swim Meet last Saturday - that is tied for the best finish in school history (also doing so in 2007).
- William Shakespeare's tragedy Othello is first presented on this date in 1604 and his romantic comedy The Tempest is first presented on this date in 1611 - both were presented at London's Whitehall Palace.
- On this date in 1800, President John Adams becomes the first president to live in an executive mansion - to be later renamed the White House.
- On this date in 1864, the US Post Office became the first service to sell Money Orders.
- On this date in 1870, the Weather Bureau - later renamed the National Weather Service - made its first meteorological forecast.
- On this date in 1911, the first bomb was dropped from a plane in combat during the Italo-Turkish War.
- On this date in 1950, Charles Cooper became the first African American to play in the NBA.
- On this date in 1952, the first Hydrogen Bomb was detonated by the United States, named Operation Ivy and the bomb codenamed "Mike" (M - for Megaton). The bomb yielded an explosion of 10 megatons detonated at the Marshall Islands.
- On this date in 1959, the Montreal Canadiens' Goaltender wore a protective facemask for the first time by any Goalie in a NHL game.
- On this date in 1968, the Motion Picture Association of America releases the film rating system, with origin ratings of G, M, R, and X. (Today they are G, PG, PG-13, R, and rarely used NC-17)
- Allen Iverson officially retired from the NBA on Wednesday.
- Today is the first day of Winter in Ireland.
- This month celebrates the following "celebration/awareness" months: Native American Heritage, Pancreatic Cancer Awareness, COPD Awareness, National Novel Writing, National Blog Posting (like I am doing right now...), Alzheimer's Disease Awareness, American Diabetes, Lung Cancer Awareness, National Homeless Youth Awareness, Crohn's & Ulcerative Colitis Awareness, National Pomegranate, International Drum, National Stomach Cancer Awareness, National Prematurity Awareness, Epilepsy Awareness, Sweet Potato Awareness, National Adoption Awareness, National Pulmonary Hypertension Awareness, "Movember" - the growing of mustache's during the month of November to promote Prostate Cancer, and finally "No Shave November"
- Today is All Saints Day - a holy day of obligation for Catholics, and a holiday for many countries.
- Today is "World Vegan" Day.
- Today is the birthdays of 9-time Major Tournament Golf Winner Gary Player (78) and Oakland Athletics' outfielder Coco Crisp (34). Today is also the "death-day" of Ex-NFL player Walter Payton - one of Mississippi's most decorated Football players of all time - having died in 1999 on this date, and Ex-Game Show Announcer Charlie O'Donnell who announced for primarily Wheel of Fortune until his death in 2010.
Here are some facts for you to keep up with this Friday. They can range from sports to things you could care less about. Here we go:
*Note: All Spam WILL be deleted.