- Oxford Girls Soccer is looking for their 2nd ever time to host North Half in Girls Soccer. Oxford can do that with a win over New Hope Saturday.
- Oxford Girls Basketball played in their 8th game this season where the game was decided within 4 points, losing to Calhoun City 54-52. Calhoun City also owns another close game with Oxford but ended in an Oxford 72-69 win.
- On this date in 1865, the United States Congress passed the 13th Amendment, abolishing slavery. The states later had to ratify it. Mississippi ratified it in 1995 - the last state to do so - but did not notify the Office of the Federal Register of the action until February 2013 (less than a year ago), finally completing the ratification. Mississippi along with 3 other states initially rejected the amendment in 1865.
- On this date in 1915 during World War I, Germany becomes the first to make large-scale use of poison gas in warfare in the Battle of Bolimow against Russia.
- On this date in 1930, 3M begins to market Scotch Tape.
- On this date in 1949, the first soap opera to be broadcast in the daytime on TV These Are My Children is broadcasted on the local NBC station in Chicago.
- On this date in 1950, President Harry S. Truman announces a program to develop the Hydrogen Bomb.
- On this date in 1958, the Explorer 1 launches into space - the first successful launch of an American satellite into orbit.
- On this date in 1961, Ham the Chimp travels into outer space - the first Chimp to ever be put into outer space. Ham successfully returned to Earth alive suffering only a bruised nose after performing a task in Project Mercury. His flight lasted roughly 17 minutes.
- On this date in 1990, the first McDonald's opens in the Soviet Union in Moscow.
- On this date in 1995, President Bill Clinton authorizes a $20 Billion loan to Mexico to help stabilize the economy.
- On this date in 2010, the movie Avatar grosses past $2 Billion worldwide, the first movie to ever do so.
- Today is Backward Day
- Today is Appreciate Your Social Security Check Day
- Today is Fun at Work Day
- Today is the Birthdays of former MLB pitcher and current CEO of the Texas Rangers Nolan Ryan (67), actor, singer-songwriter, and former N*SYNC member Justin Timberlake (33), San Francisco 49ers' Tight End Vernon Davis (30), San Diego Padres pitcher Josh Johnson (30), and former number 1 overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft and current Defensive End for the Buffalo Bills Mario Williams (29).
Here are some facts for you to keep up with this Friday. They can range from sports to things you could care less about. Here we go:
*Note: All Spam WILL be deleted.